Somalia Weekly Incident Report 25 – 31 Oct 16
- 25th October 2016, Evening – Threat Warning, MIA, Wabeeri district, Mogadishu, Banadir region – African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and the Somali National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) have increased their presence around Mogadishu International Airport. Although the motives behind this increased security posture are unknown, al Shabaab have been increasingly active in South Central Somalia over the past week, suggesting that the MIA complex, home to the United Nations and AMISOM headquarters, could soon be targeted.
- 26th October 2016, 18:30EAT – Targeted killing, Sigaale, Hawl Wadaag district, Mogadishu, Banadir region – Suspected al Shabaab militants assassinated a Somali National Army (SNA) officer identified as Colonel Siyaad Mohammed in the Sigaale neighbourhood of Hawl Wadaag, Mogadishu. The perpetrators escaped the scene.
- 27th October 2016, 13:15EAT – Drive-by shooting, SOS junction, Heliwa district, Mogadishu, Banadir region – Al Shabaab militants aboard a saloon car conducted a drive-by shooting against a SNA checkpoint located near the SOS Junction of Heliwa district in Mogadishu. Local source reporting suggested four SNA soldiers were killed and two others injured during the shooting. The perpetrators escaped the scene with confiscated weaponry.
- 28th October 2016, 10:00EAT – Targeted killing, Wabeeri district, Mogadishu, Banadir region – Suspected al Shabaab militants assassinated a SNA soldier in the Wabeeri district of Mogadishu. The perpetrators escaped the scene with confiscated weaponry.
- 29th October 2016, 19:30EAT – Road traffic accident, Medina Gate, Mogadishu International Airport, Wabeeri district, Banadir region – An AMISOM armoured personnel carrier (APC) ran over an auto-rickshaw near the Medina Gate of Mogadishu International Airport. One passenger of the auto-rickshaw was killed and two others injured. An AMISOM spokesman publicly apologized for the incident and announced an investigation was ongoing.
- 30th October 2016, 08:30EAT – Security operation, Mogadishu International Airport, Wabeeri district, Banadir region – Officers of the Somali National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) disrupted a network of al Shabaab intelligence agents operating in Mogadishu International Airport. Unverified local source reporting suggested that similar arrests had been made in all major airports in South Central Somalia. Twenty militants were arrested with fake documentation while attempting to depart from MIA.
Download the comprehensive DRC Weekly Sitrep via the following link Somalia Weekly Incident Report 25 – 31 Oct 16
This report is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute professional advice. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this report. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information within the report but Salama Fikira can take no responsibility for inaccuracies of fact or deduction. All images are subject to copyright.