Indian Ocean, Gulf of Guinea & Southeast Asia (8 – 14 Oct 16)
- Two attempted missile strikes targeted the USS MASON off Yemen on 09th and 12th October.
- In response, the United States fired Tomahawk missiles towards Houthi radar sites on 13th October.
- On 13th October, Iran announced that they have deployed two naval vessels to the Bab el Mandeb, allegedly to protect merchant vessels from piracy.
Gulf of Guinea
- Six armed pirates stole outboard engines and other possessions from local fishing communities near Opobo River on 11th October 2016.
- A tanker, identified as MT HOUSTON, was approached by a single speedboat offshore Bayelsa on 11th October 2016. The suspicious boat gave chase for approximately 15 to 20 minutes before abandoning the attempt.
- One incident was recorded outside of the reporting period.
- On 07th October, four customs officials were injured after their vessel was attacked at Tanjung Jumpu, Indonesia, Malacca Strait.
- Two suspected Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) militants were arrested in Zamboanga City, Philippines, on 07th October.
Download the comprehensive Maritime Threat Report via the following link MTR 8 – 14 Oct 16
This report is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute professional advice. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this report. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information within the report but Salama Fikira can take no responsibility for inaccuracies of fact or deduction. All images are subject to copyright.