Executive Summary 5 – 11 Apr 19
- On 08th April, Libyan National Army (LNA) aircraft conducted an airstrike at Mitiga International Airport in Tripoli reportedly targeting a grounded MiG-23 and a Chinhook helicopter.
- The Tripoli Protection Force (TPF) carried out a counter-offensive against Libyan National Army (LNA) forces positioned at the Tripoli International Airport in Tripoli city on 05th April. Reports indicated that TPF militiamen seized control of the area following armed clashes between the two groups.
- On 10th April, Libya National Army (LNA) forces reportedly shot down a Libya Air Force (LAF) aircraft identified as an Aero L-39 Albatros in the area of Qaser Bin Ghashir, Tripoli District.
- On 08th April, suspected Islamic State gunmen travelling in 13 vehicles attacked the municipal headquarters of Al Fuqaha, Al Jufrah District, killing at least three individuals.
- A security officer was shot and killed by unidentified gunmen in Murzuq town on 10th April. The assailants also reportedly set fire to several residences in the area before fleeing.
Politics and Miscellany
- Following an escalation of military activity and sustained conflict in Tripoli, the capital’s threat environment substantially deteriorated over the reporting period as expected. With a diplomatic solution to the crisis becoming increasingly unlikely, a further deterioration of the capital’s security environment is anticipated over the following weeks.
- On 09th April, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) announced the indefinite suspension of the National Conference that was scheduled to take place in Ghadames on 14th and 15th April.
- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for a cessation of hostilities in Tripoli on 10th April during a meeting with the UN Security Council.
- On 08th April, French President Emmanuel Macron held a phone conversation with Presidential Council Chairman Fayez al Sarraj over allegations of France’s involvement in supporting Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and the Libya National Army.
- The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) evacuated a contingent of its soldiers from Tripoli on 07th April.
The complete report is available for download at the following link: Weekly SitRep – Lybia 5 – 11 Apr 19
This report is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute professional advice. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this report. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information within the report but Salama Fikira can take no responsibility for inaccuracies of fact or deduction. All images are subject to copyright.